We are beyond disappointed to announce that the 2020 Original SD BBQ Championships scheduled for June 5th and 6th in Huron on the SD State Fairgrounds has been cancelled due to the uncertainties of COVID-19. All of the uncertainties spill over into all the planning areas so that’s why the decision was made at this point to cancel. Additionally, the health and safety of our cooks, judges, reps, volunteers and event attendees are a top priority. We will certainly miss interacting and seeing our BBQ family this year and look forward to following you all on the BBQ trail this year.
Anyone can compete in the Backyard BBQ People's Choice Competition! You do not have to compete in the KCBS portion of the event to register for the Backyard BBQ Competition.
The Backyard BBQ People's Choice Competition is open to everyone! There are no limitations to what you can use to grill!
> $20 entry fee (free to competitors in the KCBS contest)
> Cash prizes in each division
- People's Choice: 1st place-$125, 2nd place-$75, 3rd place-$50
- Judged: 1st place-$150, 2nd place-$50, 3rd place-$25
> Two methods of judging: people's choice and blind
> Past Backyard BBQ Meats are:
- Skin-on raw turkey breast lobe - sponsored by Dakota Provisions and Wyshbone Market
- Brisket- sponsored by SD Beef Council
- Pork butt - sponsored by SD Pork Producers Council
- Boneless leg of lamb roast - sponsored by American Lamb Board, SD Sheep Growers and Lynn and Dianne
Perry, and DeSmet Farm Mutual Insurance
Backyard BBQ Information and Rules