The Original SD BBQ Championships began in 2007 and is a Kansas City BBQ Society sanctioned event. The SD BBQ Championships is a success story because of our competitors, sponsors, volunteers and spectators. The event shares the 180 wide-open acres with another major annual event known as Wheel Jam, featuring everything on wheels from motorcycles to classic cars to 18-wheelers.
KCBS reps for contest are Richard and Bunny Tuttle.
The Original SD BBQ Championships offers:
- KCBS sanctioned event
- Over $14,000 total KCBS purse
- $2,500 to the Grand Champion with an invite to compete at the prestigious American Royal in Kansas City, MO; $2,000 to the Reserve Grand Champion
- Increased pay in the Top 10 for each category as well as payouts to Top 5 Overall
- High CBJ % rate
- Over $2,000 in other contest categories; Chili and Backyard BBQ
- Early Bird Discount: Return form before April and receive $25 off your entry fee
- Refer a new team and receive a $50 discount
- One meat contest in addition to standard four meat contest
- 20 ft. x 50-65 ft. campsites
- Electricity provided at all campsites
- 20 A/125V & 30A/125V available
- Bathhouses with hot showers within walking distance
- RV dump station on site
Friday night is the annual F.A.T. Friday Chili Challenge. Prizes are awarded in two categories as well as an overall judged category.
Immediately following the Saturday KCBS competition is the “Backyard BBQ People’s Choice” event. This event is designed to give the public an opportunity to taste unique delicacies and to contribute to the SD State Fair Foundation. Meat is provided to contestants at no additional costs.
Candi Briley | Bush Fullerton | Scott Cordts | Jake Lindgren | Trevor Gerrits | Jason Briley | Ron Hines | Angela Christenson | Jan Gerrits | Jim Tharp | James Coates | James Shoultz